Ron and Marilyn's Place

Monday, August 06, 2007

A Birthday Gift

I have to post this because it needs to be preserved. Sara, our younger daughter who is living in Mexico, came home so she could have a birthday party here, at home. Shelley, our older daughter and her family, came for the party. So, we had a great family and friends time together. I'll let Sara tell you how old she became on July 26. As for me, I turned 60 on the 18th. Our two daughters had informed me that they were getting a combined gift for me for my 60th. They gave it to me at Sara's party, after Sara had opened her gifts. It was an official team jersey from the Texas A&M Cycling Team. I was blessed to be able to wear it in my annual BMR (birth month ride), the Tour de Goatneck, that very weekend. It was great! I got lots of "gig 'ems" from other riders. I also got remarks that linked my odd bike with being a Aggie. I just relish them all. I know they all stem from either friendliness and camaraderie or jealousy.

Another thing my creative daughters did was wrote a note to accompany the jersey. That's what I'm posting for your reading pleasure. Here it is:

Top Ten Rejected Birthday Gifts for Dad
(no particular order)

1. A New Bike
Rejected because: Who really needs four bikes?

2. A new iPod
Rejected because: Been there, done that . . . Twice!

3. An iTunes gift card
Rejected because: Boring!

4. New Clothes
Rejected because: More Boring!!

5. Naming a Star After You
Rejected because: Although a neat thought, a complete waste of money!

6. A Telescope
Rejected because: We're just not rich enough to buy you one that's good enough.

7. A Tie
Rejected because: You've got to be kidding me!!!

8. New bike Stuff
Rejected because: You're gonna buy that stuff for yourself anyway, so why spend our money?

9. Money for the Great Bathroom Switch [a re-modeling job I've talked about a lot]
Rejected because: We'll save that for Mom's birthday since that would really be her gift.

10. A New Coffee Mug
Rejected because: Who really needs 60 of those?

Know that we thought of a lot of options before landing on this one. Hope you like it better than it's potential predecessors.

We love you!!!

Your brood

One thing of great importance and very worthwhile to know is rejected gift #9. The way I read that we should be getting the funding for the Great Bathroom Switch remodeling job come April - at Marilyn's birthday. I'm really looking forward to that!!

I'm writing something about being 60 that I plan to post, if I ever get it to sound right. Check back here later on in the month.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger The Cox Family said…

    Glad you had a great birthday with your girls and family! What a great gift!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home