Ron and Marilyn's Place

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Too High to Explain

The title is the slogan I saw on one of the two t-shirt options at the gift shop at the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro. I think I would have bought it if it had said "Too Hard to Explain." Climbing Kili WAS the hardest thing I've ever done - physically and, perhaps, mentally. I found my limit and then went beyond it. I'm glad I'm at a stage in life such that I will never be pressured to do it again. I have no son coming of age who might want his dad to go up with him. I will be far too old to be challenged by either of my grandsons by the time they come of age. When they're old enough to do Kili, their dad is the one who will face that challenge. Neither my wife nor my daughters will ever ask me to take them there. So, I'm safe from the curtain call. BUT, I did do it! No matter how fat and lazy I get in the years that remain, I climbed to the highest point of Mt. Kilimanjaro. 19,341 feet AMSL. Additionally, I came all the way back down - no small feat either. And, it was grand! Did I mention that I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro?

I've been searching my mind and heart for something profound to write about this unique experience. Surely there was some soul purifying aspect that can serve to touch hard hearts. Surely I felt some intense sense of nearest to my God or my own inner-being. I was asked, by a dear friend who had wanted to make the climb, "What did you feel? What emotion stands out as you think about reaching the summit?" Wow! That's a hard question. I was glad we made it. Howz that for an emotion for the summit? It had looked doubtful for a while and I was really really glad we made it. I was anxious to get the pictures we wanted to make at the top. Documentation of the summit seemed important - as if others would need proof. But, I think my strongest feeling (and one that has made me kinda mellow about the whole thing) was/is a feeling of unworthiness. When I think of all the people in the world and the indescribable misery in which most people live and die I am struck by the privileged life I live. I know that the opportunity to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro was a gift from God. I know God does that sort of thing for His people. I know He wants us to experience life's joys because He delights in blessing us. I know those things. But, I still struggle that I should be so blessed. It was truly a time of purifying the soul. It was a time of exhilaration in the midst of God's beautiful creation. It was reveling in the abundant healthiness of the body God has given. It was so many wonderful things. None of them deserved. All of them so very humbling. Utter thankfulness is the only proper response to being at the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

I have many stories with which I could bore you readers. Stories about the climb. Side stories about people we met and drew courage from and gave courage to. I'm not going to write them here, though, because I know they would go mostly unread. I've written them in my Journal - there too they will go mostly unread. They are preserved and will not be forgotten. But, here I'll only note that God allowed me to place a small stone on top of Kili in memory of a young Englishman who drown and who's mother requested that the stone be carried up and placed at the summit in his memory. Here I'll note that a shofar was blown from the summit of Kili to the north and the south and the east and the west by a missionary who had deep sorrows washed away from his heart by the declaration of the shofar. I'll note that a 63 year-old German declared that his grandchildren will stop calling him whatever they've called him before and from now on he'll be known as "Grandpa Kili." It was the greatest terrible thing I've ever done. It has made me humble and given me reason to boast. It was far too expensive and worth much more than it cost. I would do it again, in a heartbeat, but never again in this lifetime.

Praise God for making Kili. Praise Him for giving me the opportunity to climb it. Praise Him for giving me the resources to climb. And, praise God for giving me the strength to climb. It is great joy to watch God do things in your life. He is worthy of praise.

14 Comments:

  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger Ron and Marilyn said…

    Yea Ron and Yea GOD!! I'm so proud of you for what you went through to make it! But you did not mention that you had food poisoning the night before the summit climb. As Keith Shelton said 'you are the he-man and hero'! you're my hero too!!

    ylw

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ron:

    How amazing. I am looking forward to hearing more about your trip. I have been bugging Marilyn ever since you got back... "when will Ron update the blog?" Thanks for taking the time to do this.

    donna

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Don Box said…

    Ron,
    Thanks for baring your heart and soul in recounting this grand adventure. I did also want to make the climb in my lifetime, but probably will be satisfied to simply enjoy the first hand reports of the awesome treck that you, Mark, Keith, John Paul & Philip shared.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Carter Davis said…

    Ron,
    I think you are wrong about no one reading your journal on Kili...I'm positive that your grandsons one day will be enthralled with their granddad's incredible achievement. Great work and I'm green with envy!

    Carter

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger shell said…

    I am so proud of you and I love you so much! Carter's right, your grandsons will love reading about your adventures. You are a great example to them of a man of God who is Wild at Heart. Thank you for teaching me that sometimes it's worth the pain just to be able to say you did it. (Hopefully I'll be able to say the same thing next week after my first 5K). :)

    I love you!!
    your eldest

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Team Mexico said…

    I also am so proud of you and thankful that the Lord gave you the strength and the stamina to make it to the top. What an awesome experience for you! You are definitely correct in saying that this daughter will never ask you to do it again. : ) But this daughter would also LOVE to read your journals and hear all the stories that you didn't even write down and hope to do so sometime soon. I can't wait to see all the pictures as well. The four or five that I've seen definitely aren't enough. I love you and love being about to tell people about my amazing dad who did something I would never have even thought of doing in my whole life. : )
    your youngest

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger ThinkWells (formerly Impact Houston) said…

    Ron,
    Congratulations on the blessing and the accomplishment. I've been anxious to ask you all kinds of "mountain top" questions, but you've pretty much answered the most important ones beautifully. Thank you for that report, and I know that God is going to use the opportunity He gave you to continue to share empassioned messages he's prepared in you to deliver. A message of life, of taking a step you don't think you can take, of trying to catch your breath, and of arrival but not in the typical, earthly sense. It was breath-taking and "too high to explain" for you, but it has already communicated much to us. I can only imagine, because of your connections, how this one little account will be retold in various ways in all corners of the world. As that happens, I pray it's relayed in a way that touches hearts for God, no matter what language is used. It amazing what God can do. Amazing what God does. Amazing.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Phillip Shero said…

    Yes. Yes! You did well explaining the inexplainable--and with much fewer words that I am using!

    I may actually do it again--my whole family is asking to climb. Of course, that will be several years in the future.

    But for now, it is an unconquered memory. A memory I am so glad to share with you and the rest of our climbing team.

    Of course, the memory of all the "acclimatization" needs to fade as soon as possible.

     
  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger Brooks Inc. said…

    Ron-

    I loved reading every word of this and seeing the pictures. May the Lord continue to be glorified in your life. YOu point others to Him in such a beautiful way!

    We love you-

    Tony and Becky

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Joyce B. said…

    Wow, Ron. Post more pictures, tell us more stories.

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Impressive! Thanks for sharing Ron....I'm amazed at your stamina, strength and fortitude. That will be a story you'll get to tell and re-tell for many years....all to God's glory!

    Deb J.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How wonderful Ron! I'm glad I finally got to read it! blessings.

     
  • At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just read it all again, Ron. Please post at least one or two of the stories from your journal.

    D'Anne

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Ron,
    Boy do I feel out of touch. First time I am looking at your family blog and hadn't looked at the missions blog in way too long. It sounds like a lot has been happening in your life and at RHCC and it will be great to catch up in June! Mt.Ararat in Turkey might be a kind of disappointment by comparison at just under 16,000 but hey, you might be able to take back a piece of the ark with you.
    Keep gathering your strength. Thanks for the great retelling of Kili, or is that affectionate term reserved only for those who have actually been there. Congratulations to you and all the team who helped each other to the top.

    Here is a song about the Mountain from way back in my past, actually some "Children of God" missionaries taught it to me:

    Climb that mountain, no matter how steep.
    Ford that river, no matter how deep.
    Jesus is coming and it won't be long, won't be long.
    Preach that gospel, keep singing that song.

    For the valleys, they are so low,
    and the people down there they just don't know...
    There's a mountain, a mountain, they must climb...
    and it looks like they're running out of time.

    Early morning heartbreak,
    My broken spirit's heart aches,
    But something deep inside my soul
    Keeps telling me I've got to reach that goal...

    So in view of the truth of the metaphor - Keep climbing!

    Tim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home